Thursday, March 25

Happy Birthday Nana!


Remembering Nana today and celebrating a life that wasn't always easy - From Italy, to the hills of West Virginia, the metropolis in Michigan and  finally settling, putting down roots in California.  She was a pioneering woman.  Raising siblings, then her own kids, grandkids and great-grandkids.  Surviving in the world with only a sixth grade education, faithful, caring and loving.  She had a love for nature and the Lord - I remember her praying the rosary and reading the bible in her room, sitting in her rocking chair.  I remember her playing with the kids on the floor in her house dress and ankle nylons!  I remember her making me re-do and scrub the bathroom counter 3x because I didn't do it 'right'.  I remember her teaching me how to sweep the leaves of the tree in the backyard and how to cut rose bushes so they'd bloom.  Letting me help her in the kitchen and trying to get the recipes for spaghetti sauce, Easter cookies and fretas; oh how I cherish the times with her and oh how I miss her every day!  Thank you Nana for all the wonderful things you taught me, how to persevere, to pray and to tend to a garden and the loved ones in my life.  You were a great example of a servant of Christ, giving and teaching others - I miss you -
love, Nana

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cheryl! So happy I had a chance to have a Nana like her. She surpassed all others and was my only rock as a child. I would love to hear one of her phone messages again...After leaving the long message she would put her seal on it-"this is Nana" (like we didn't know) and then the kicker- "love, Nana". We need more Nanas in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we do! glad you read my blog! glad you are my bro!

    ReplyDelete