Monday, April 16

Sunday Drive

Yesterday, Otto and I headed out with the intention of visiting Morgantown WV where my dad grew up.  We headed out after church in anticipation of what this day would hold, camera in hand, and of course Tomya (GPS) as our guide.

Once on the road we talked about what we would see and how it would look.  When did my dad live there, and when did he move to Pennsylvania?  When did Nana's parents die?  Where are they buried? So many questions and things I need to find out.

On the road to Morgantown

Crossing over Cheat Lake, almost there
After we exited at the Morgantown off ramp, we saw a sign for Forks of Cheat Winery, so we headed up the windy road.  Here are some pics of what we stumbled on to.  It was this quaint little winery tucked up in the hills with some very good wines.  Tasting was free we were told, but you couldn't taste everything on the list, just a few.  I'm not really a white wine lover, but they had one that tasted soo good, a little dry but had undertones of grapefruit, we just had to grab a bottle.  Onto the deeper Cabs that I like and it was okay, but not great.  Then, he suggested  the Chambourcin, I don't think I've ever had it before and it was wonderful, give me one of those bottles please!  It's a hybrid grape that is very delicate and temperamental - so they don't produce a lot, but I'm sure glad we got to taste it and get a bottle!



We left the winery after chatting with the owner for a bit and getting a map of Morgantown -- I shot a few pics of the grounds before leaving.  I am certain we will return!





So, after talking to my dad we ended up at the corner of Pleasant St and University Ave.  He didn't remember the address or exactly which shop was grandpa's.  Since it was a little difficult to figure out exactly where the shop was I took pics of things around the area in hopes that I captured it.  I am going to call the Chamber of Commerce and get more info before heading out here again!


University Ave

Buildings on University Ave

Monongahela River 


 I am fairly certain that one of these buildings is where my grandpa's shop was located.

The picture to my left is looking up Pleasant St. from University Ave.  It wasn't clear whether the shop was on the right or left looking up from University.

The picture below and to the right is on the right hand side of the street looking up from University Ave.
I took a lot of pictures of the surrounding buildings too.  We also drove up University Ave where my dad said his address was 321.

I shot some houses, but could not be certain we were even in the right area.  Dad, you are just going to have to come out here and see us so we can take a drive into Morgantown again!

We decided to head to Shinnston, the town where my Nana's family is from.  Still, not too certain of when and where and even who lived here, but thought we would hit the cemetery to see if we could find Nana's parents' grave site.  So many questions, when did they die?  Where were they buried?

We plugged in 'city center' 'Shinnston' and were guided to this spot exactly.  A sign on the side of the road with no town in site!


So, on we drove into the town.  We plugged in Cemetery Rd, don't all towns have one?  It led us to the Shinnston Masonic Cemetery, which was quite large.  We headed to the oldest sections in hopes of finding the Marino headstone.  We had no clue if this was even the right cemetery, and can you believe the office is closed on Sunday?  Well, I guess it is only a town of about 2,000 people!  LOL

Well, we didn't find the grave site but that is okay, we aren't too from home and will make the trip back once I get all the info on the family that I need!

Below are pics of the old Shinnston High School, the post columns say "Class of 1924"




Finally headed home after a full day of driving and oohing and awing over the landscape and sights.  And as Arnold would say "I'll be back"!

Random pictures while on the road!








No comments:

Post a Comment