Saturday, April 24

WE DID IT!!

 Leanna, me and Otto on our way to the car after the race

 We did it - Leanna and I ran our first 1/2 marathon and Otto ran his second.  Leanna killed it for her first time 2:26, Otto ran 2:35 and me, well I brought up the rear with 2:52 -

We started off about 7:30 this morning amid some clouds and chance for severe thunderstorms around 10, but once we started I didn't give the weather another thought, until I saw a sign that said "Run like  a tornado's coming" that I thought about it again because it really was.  At that point I felt a rush of wind and knew that God was prompting me to get a move on if I wanted to beat the storm, so I ran.  The next sign said "Starbuck's in 4 miles", well that got me going plus thinking about the weather coming in I thought I'd better take it up a notch and try to finish before it started raining.  The course was more hilly than I anticipated and that kicked my butt a little, so my time wasn't that good, but I wanted to finish strong.  So, I thought about the kids at the finish line and a free beer!  Okay, yes there was a free beer, but that didn't play into my burst of energy at that point.  But, running across the finish line did, so that was what kept me going.  Well, I barely crossed the line when there was a big clap of thunder (I like to think that God was congratulating me) and then it started pouring, really, that is no lie.  The guy handing out the medals said, "Don't hold your medals over your head because of the lightning" followed by "I'm serious".  Whew, just in the knick of time.  So, I headed to the family reunion to meet up with Jared and the kids expecting to see Leanna and Otto there as well.  Well, by the time I got there, I was soaking wet and starting to shiver - "I hope I find them soon" I thought, but it wasn't to be.  We didn't all re-connect until about an hour later.  I kept running from the S's to the H's because we didn't specify where we would meet!  LOL, yeah laughing now, but not then!  Leanna was still at the finish line waiting for me and of course thinking the worse!  She missed me as I shuffled across I guess.  Otto was wandering around looking for both of us and Jared and the kids were huddled under an EZ up -  The kids spotted popi (he found the beer tent) and, finally we all connected but had to walk to the car about a mile away!  Walk? really, after we just ran 13.1, okay I guess so if I have to!  Really, I don't feel as bad as I thought I would, allow my muscles are sore, I feel great!  It was an awesome experience that I will (maybe) do again!  More on the course and my thoughts later!

No comments:

Post a Comment