Friday, June 1

Transformation

Cape San Blaus, FL (2009)
It's funny, well not really, but I have to laugh at how God works in my life.  I've been catching up on my devotions this morning, spending an extended amount of 'quiet time' as I've been a little distracted and unfocused lately.

I really wanted to sit and listen to the spirit, be quiet and see what the Lord is telling me today.  I picked up 'Longing for the Holy', the bible study our group just finished, and reread the last chapter about teaching us to see God in everyday life, in all we do.  Anyway, there is a section that talks about practicing the presence of God, another on cultivating a sense of wonder and lastly learning to ponder, so I read them again and really focused on the words, the meaning, what it means to me.  Then, I moved on to my daily scripture reading, Mark 11:11-26, it was about Jesus arriving at the temple and being confronted with a spectacle that makes him boil with anger.   Merchants and money changers are doing business in the temple's outer court.  But, what does Jesus do?  Nothing.  Why did He push the pause button on his anger and not unleash it at the merchants?  He know it wasn't the right moment to speak to them.  He had a sense of timing, His Father's timing.

In 'Longing for the Holy' there is a paragraph that explains how Jesus is the most powerful example of the deep wisdom that can be gained as we ponder.  He was on the receiving end of hatred, jealousy and anger.  He carried those and held them in his heart and never passed these on to others.  He held them in His heart until they were transformed into forgiveness, compassion and love.  Just as He did that day at the temple.  He held in His anger and did not lash out at the people.  He let the anger and hatred turn into forgiveness, compassion and love.

I can't help but notice the connection between these two today.  Two totally different books, not meant to be read at the same time or day, but still somehow they are connected.  This is God's way of getting my attention.  I've learned over the years not to be surprised at this, but sometimes I still am.  I have to chuckle at God, continually convincing me that He is in control, not me.  He sends me what I need when I need it. No joke, but still I laugh.  A little giggle under my breath, because He loves me so much, he constantly sends me these reminders.

So, today I sat and contemplated, I took time to ponder on some things and let them settle in my heart.  I prayed today for patience and for the strength so these troubles and tension  may be transformed into forgiveness, compassion and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment